Loafing in the Lupine Art Analysis

 

Loafing in the Lupine painted by Marion Rose. 
Uploaded to Fine Art America, April 25th, 2010. ("Loafing In The Lupin By Marion Rose") Location and when created is unknown. Based on reading and looking at her other art, I'd speculate this was created after a trip to Alaska or Canada, and completed in 2010, before being uploaded online.  

I came across this painting searching for some Alaskan art to analysis. I was immediately drawn to this style with the vibrancy and style, but also because was a black bear in my yard yesterday. The image of the black bear on the hunt stalking through the beautiful trees and grass is very fresh in my mind. Tis the season in Alaska, though; searching for those fresh baby moose that I had just seen in my driveway, 10 minutes prior. 

This painting is an acrylic painting on canvas. This piece of art uses lots of color and texture, which is what the artist was known for. I believe with the dramatic contrast with the center of the art and the background, it is using color to create tone. The black bear stands out, illuminating in the light of the red and yellow background. The artist also strategically used color and texturing, to create a look of movement; the way the color is around the bears legs, grass, and lupine it looks as though the bear is in stride, and the lupine and grass is still in motion. Its said the artist favored using a knife to apply paint and create texture. ("Marion Rose - About The Artist") Through creating the texture, she is also using patterns in displaying the simple yet, clearly lupine and blades of grass, layers of fur on the bear. Simple textured patterns, yet intentionally and beautifully placed.

As I look at the coloring on the bears face sparks the emotion of respect - to me, it captures the power and ferociousness of a bear. Some paintings of bears don't always capture this part of them, and the bears appear cuddly and cute. The coloring within this piece of art, also creates the emotion of loud yet, the shades of blue are serene and memorizing. I think the artist does a wonderful job using color to spark these varying emotions, and movement.

I would own this piece of art; it would make a good fit in my simple rustic cabin home. There isn't any backstory shared about this specific piece of art but she has 54 other paintings of bears from Alaska, and on a different image she shares that she was able to see and film bears scouring the autumn hillsides of Denali.("Into The Wind By Marion Rose")  Beyond that, her about page shares that she draws most of creations from traveling and wildlife, sketching her ideas first as a foundation for later paintings.("Marion Rose - About The Artist")


For me, this piece is a lovely combination of tone, color, emotion, pattern, and texture. I enjoyed thinking deeply on this piece, and analyzing her other works with it. Thank you for taking the time to read this. 



References

"Into The Wind By Marion Rose". Fine Art America, 2010, https://fineartamerica.com/featured/into-the-wind-marion-rose.html.


"Loafing In The Lupin By Marion Rose". Fine Art America, 2010, https://fineartamerica.com/featured/loafing-in-the-lupin-marion-rose.html.


"Marion Rose". Fine Art America, 2011, https://fineartamerica.com/profiles/marion-rose?tab=about.


"Marion Rose - About The Artist". Marionrose.Com, http://marionrose.com/about.

Comments

  1. I like how you talk about the color and how it sparks emotion. Vibrant colors always make me happier and brings pleasure to the eye. I also like how you point out that this painting captures the ferocity because that was one of the first things I noticed when looking at it. Great choice for an art analysis!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Destiny,
    I absolutely love this painting! Great choice! Amazing colors!!
    Very nice bear story to go along with the painting. When I first saw this, it reminded me of the Anchorage Zoo. They have some bear sculptures there in the entrance, and they are painted with many colorful drawings. This painting for sure sparks emotion, and it's cool because it can be any emotion. It can be happy or sad or both happy and sad with every other emotion in there as well. Awesome choice and great post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I love this! The vibrancy of the colors instantly lifts my spirit. I would definitely purchase this for my home. I agree that the texture brings the painting into motion, showing the bear moving through the flowers. Very good job on your analysis.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is amazing! I love the way the artist goes about the colors and how its so vibrant but the animal is so seeable even with all the bright colors. Also thank you for leaving those links! I checked out some of her other work and it's amazing as well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, Destiny. Paintings that use bright colors such as this one have always intrigued me. The amount of life colorful art can bring to a room is amazing. As someone who typically buys neutral or earth toned art, clothing, and objects, I am always pleasantly surprised to see how beautifully vibrant pieces look in homes, offices, schools, on murals, etc. I have slowly started adding more colorful things to my home and wardrobe over the years and love the fun process of incorporating color into things- mixing and matching can be very entertaining. It was especially entertaining during the pandemic when I had not much else to do. I would own this piece of art, too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the way you used an antidote before you explained the painting. I hope you're careful around your home. That would be a dream to do to like in a cabin on the Noatak River in my home town. I agree with you. The painting doesn't make the bear cuddly but noble and strong. You can feel the passion of the painter in every stroke of color. The artist took their time adding detailed texture to make it look natural with solid colors. You made a nice touch in saying how the color gave emotions and that you gave background about the artist.
    I look forward to your next blog!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the way you connected how the vibrancy elements further illustrate the movement in the piece. This work really does catch one's attention! That is so interesting that the artist used a knife for the texture, and I wonder how much more the texture conveys movement in person.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introducing Destiny

Renaissance Blog Primavera