Introducing Destiny

Introducing Destiny -- 

I'm Destiny Jackson, and I find it hard to describe myself and my life in a paragraph.
To start, I live on the Kenai Peninsula with my husband of 5 years, and 3-year-old daughter. Growing up, I never imagined I'd live in Alaska; but I guess you could say it was my Destiny. I'm a stay-at-home mom to one sweet little girl trying to dive back into college and finish my degree. I was so very close before I got pregnant; with so much time and money invested I've made it my goal within the next year to finish it, even if I don't use my degree right now. Though I am a stay-at-home mom, I've found a variety of things to keep me busy working, beyond the typical 8-5 jobs. I currently manage a small coffee shop, The Compass Coffeehouse. I also run my own small business, Radiant Wear. That started out as making and selling headbands; but has been slowly growing into also sewing and selling Childrens clothes and accessories. I've never described myself as an artist, but sewing has become my favorite way to create. 

Lately though, I've been practicing some more art as I've attended a few classes that I helped coordinate for the coffeeshop I manage. This week at the coffeeshop we are hosting an art show celebrating local youths' talents, it has been so impressive to see some of the pieces these kids have made. I almost picked one of those pieces to display with this assignment. Beyond that, my main connection to art is admiration. I truly enjoy looking at art and all the pieces within it: the lighting, mixture of colors, imagining the emotions that may have gone into it, and so on.
I didn't have a piece of art come to mind to share immediately so I searched for a while. My mind was really on the ocean and flowers today. I found this artist I like and enjoyed looking at many of her pieces, specifically the way she captures flowers and their detailed beauty. 
Image attached is where the sky meets the sea by Marie Mills

Comments

  1. Beautiful picture choice. Proud of you babe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You sound as busy as I am. I am currently juggling 3 jobs. I think the coffeeshop and art happening place is a really great idea. Love the art work you featured. So much "real" texture in the piece. The link to Radiant Wear didn't work for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very amazing intro, I respect and admire you for finishing your goals even when there's other things happening in your life. I too raised my kids until they were old enough for school then I came back to school after many years. It was a challenge for me to learn all the new computer programs and all but fun as well. Great choice on the picture, I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Destiny, I enjoyed the pun. You sound pretty busy but it's awesome that you're going back into your studies. Good luck and continue sewing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Destiny, I enjoyed reading your blog. I admire your diligence with regards to all your endeavors. I myself am trying keep up with not only this class but 3 others. After about 10 or so years of not attending classes, it is a bit of a challenge! kudos to you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Loafing in the Lupine Art Analysis

Renaissance Blog Primavera